Thursday, November 5, 2015

Ballerina

I'm back to make another post, and can hopefully get some much needed painting in today as well. This weekend will be sucked up by work events unfortunately. I also need to get things ready to apply for grad school. It's going to slap me in my face before I know it. 
 
Any who, today's post is focused on the commission I completed last November. The subject matter is based on a ballerina in grand jete. I was able to see some of Degas' ballerina paintings/sketches while creating this piece. My job had some of his works in our exhibitions at the time. Sometimes it's nice to be surrounded by art. Being able to see others work helps with the process of how I will go about my own work.
 
 
Once I knew had free range of how I could display the work, I knew I wanted to paint within layers of medium. I'm pretty sure there are six layers adhered together after the entire process was complete. I sketched the image out and transferred it onto one of the layers and then added colors to the others. I'm always trying to explore the way things work within the layers of medium. It can be difficult to see how the end result will be because of the murky drying process. I have to be sure I'm done and everything is in the right place before I commit to adhering layers together. My favorite part about creating these works is you slowly get to see the small details come through as it clears.
 
 I hope you can see the depth of the work through the pictures.
 
Transfer
Layers
 


Ballerina(one)
Paint, ink, paper and medium adhered to plexiglass
approximately 11"x13"
2014

No comments:

Post a Comment