Sunday, September 13, 2015

Graduating Semester Spring 2012

I was doing so well on posting everyday but getting out of work late can make me lazy lol. Any who, I'm here and it's Sunday! I'm going to get this post up and sit outside to drink my coffee. For those of you who don't live in Texas, we've had a cold front come through. All it did was make the temps comfy. A tease of the fall weather, but I'll take it!

Today's post is of my final semester in spring 2012! Woot! There is not very many works to post since I only had two studio courses. Mixed Media and Printmaking. I know I'm missing a couple works from mixed media. We did a lot of small studies. So, I'm just going to show my body of work for my series in the class.
Katie
Ink, paint, paper and medium on plexiglass
22"x22"(with frame)

Adrian
Ink, paint, paper and medium on plexiglass
22"x22"(with frame)

Alexa
Ink, paint, paper and medium on plexiglass
22"x22"(with frame)

Alyssa
Ink, paint, paper and medium on plexiglass
22"x22"(with frame)


Two of the works were installed for the Ideas in Art show.(above)
Consuelo
Ink, paint, paper and medium on plexiglass
52"x52"
This painting is my BFA piece which reflects my entire body of work through school. Also, it is very important to me because it is the last connection I had to a close family member, who passed away while creating this piece. I didn't realize how much she influenced this work while making this piece. But when it was completed, it reminded me of her sweet little face every time I looked at it. I miss you every day Consuelo.

BFA Show

I won the Ideas in Art award! Only Undergrad to win! WOOT!!
There were three grad students who won this award 2012.
I showed with the grad students in the spring of 2013.

Here is my artist statement for my body of work

Artist Statement 2012

      My work portrays a visual message of my own emotional responses to events and people in my life. This series has evolved from communicating these ideas through representational imagery, to a more minimalistic style. I have created a body of work that shows my thought process rather than portray recognizable images because I want to evoke thought and responses within the viewer. Motifs within my work include transparent layers made up of transfers, a symbol for obscure memories, and grids, which are composed of ideas and conversations, both of which hold their own reason for being. I use the form of a grid as a metaphor for structure within all my experiences and relationships. The stability of the grid brings these experiences into a place that feels more under my control regardless of how pleasant for unpleasant they may be.

With this work I have become more aware of the materials I use to convey my idea to the viewer. As I have worked on my idea, I have stripped away the traditional canvas and have brought the painting to a more raw process by using inks, watercolor, and paint to affect the layers of gloss, gel, matte, and pouring medium which are adhered to each other on plexiglass to create a sturdy surface. These pieces vary from being suspended within a frame from the ceiling, to being suspended with fishing wire outward from the wall on a brace. Because of their translucency, this allows the viewer to see the work from all sides, unrestricted by a traditional opaque canvas.

While working with this series I am conscious of how the material affects the way one sees the piece. I have been able to re-invent my idea with the methods I use to display my designs. I create works to express how I feel about people, things, and places with the intention of enabling the viewer to lose themselves in meditative thought within the translucent layers. All of which leave an ambiguous affect allowing the viewer to walk away with their own interpretation of the work.

I was wondering if I should post some pics from printmaking, so I guess I will post one.
It's the only pic I could find of my printmaking works. I may look for my work to add later, but I'm running out of time.

 Self-portrait
Homage to Frida

This is what happens when you live in a studio with no sleep, a good friend, and an unplanned photoshoot! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment